WFIA & Moonsighting
WFIA works closely with Ahle Sunnah Wal Jammaat, New Crescent Society, ICOUK / Moonsighting.org.uk, Noor TV, & other organisations to revive the sunnah of naked eye moonsightings in UK & Ireland. This is the true sunnah method for moonsighting, to try to see the moon with the naked eye after 29 days of an Islamic month have been completed. This method has been followed by the Holy Messenger صلى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلم himself, the Sahabah رضی اللہ عنھم and by all generations since. For transparency, our monthly moonsighting reports are below. Please do share with your Family and Friends.
Our ambition is to rely on UK only sightings. While great progress is being made on this, there is more work to be done for sufficient sighting locations and infrastructure to be put in place across the UK.
Until then, we will continue to rely on local UK sightings and defer to Morocco (or South Africa to a lesser extent) when UK sightings are not possible. These countries have reliable moonsighting systems stretching over decades – the sort of systems we aspire to develop here.
We pray for the day when all mosques of every demomination can return to this beautiful sunnah to unite the ummah in this country on a UK based Islamic calendar based on local naked eye sightings.
In the meantime, we ask all mosques observe their own local moonsightings every month and help work towards uniting the ummah on this blessed sunnah.
Trying to find the moon after the 29th of every Islamic month is what all our predecessors did. Not only is it sunnah, it is also an exciting family activity. We encourage you to try and look for the moon, even from your homes, and enjoy such a blessed sunnah with your family. It’s easy to look for the moon – this short video from New Crescent Society explains how.
WFIA Moonsighting Reports 1441AH
- The new moon will be born on Fri 22nd May at 17.39 GMT / 18:39 BST and will not be visible anywhere in the world on Fri evening.
- Please look for the new crescent this Saturday 24th May after Maghrib prayers.
- Although the moon may be difficult to see with the naked-eye, positive or negative reports are equally important.
- Eid announcement will be as soon as possible after 10pm on Sat evening.
- Please visit www.wfia.org.uk/eid for more information about Eid.